Friday, March 9, 2012

Social Media isn't an Idea.





Facebook isn’t an Idea. Twitter isn’t an Idea. Pinterest isn’t an Idea.

These are vessels. They carry Ideas.

Brands with a voice, with an attitude, with a purpose have no problem filling these vessels with interesting content that engages their audience.

But companies that have no Idea find themselves putting sand in canteens and water in wheelbarrows. Their messages are awkward and uncomfortable.

I don’t want my professional trade association to ask me about my Oscar picks. I don’t want my primary charity to ask me about my summer plans. Even if these softballs generate a ton of responses, this isn’t marketing. This isn’t even social. It’s just some ill defined and poorly directed social media director trying to keep his job.

For a local Credit Union, I created a number of short videos that helped people make better financial decisions. Through social and traditional media, these videos were promoted and shared. Each video led to a deep channel of other videos that ranged from basic knowledge to insider information. That was an Idea. We want you to be a better consumer.  We have knowledge and we will be generous with it for you.

My favorite little restaurant shares seasonal recipes and simple ways to make a homemade meal more elegant. They are generous with their knowledge also. I feel the better for having a relationship with them.

So, when thinking about social, don’t find the vessel and stop. Please, think of what you want that vessel to carry.

It’s easy to see the frustration of those companies that have invested heavily in water bottles, but forgot to put any effort into gathering water.




1 comment:

  1. Social is always about making connections, about starting a conversation or carrying one forward.

    The place to connect is where a business's brand promise, products/services and culture overlap with the interests and needs of the people they want as customers. (think Ven diagram)

    ReplyDelete